Howard Smith is The Labour Party candidate for the Guildford South East Division for the Surrey County Council elections taking place on the 4th of May.
Smith joined The Labour Party in frustration about how Guildford was being run, particularly with, what he felt, as a lack of consultation from Surrey County Council with local people. He is campaigning on these issues:
- Encourage improvements and development for “abandoned” parts of Guildford town centre.
- Proper funding for education and social care.
- Investment in infrastructure (esp. roads).
- Street lights turning off needs to be “smarter“.
- Preserve the beauty of Guildford while providing services Guildford needs
Smith was born in Guildford and lives in Guildford South East. He works as a professional musician and currently runs his own live music promotion company at the centre of Guildford. Smith also used to run an independent record store on Chapel Street – People Records – which closed after seven years in January 2016 to allow Mr Smith to spend more time with his family. He has no political experience or in governance.
More of these short pieces on candidates may be coming soon, depending on time restraints.